Today: Review of the Lodge on the Presidio (San Francisco, USA)
Opened on June 28, 2018, the Lodge on the Presidio is considered one of San Francisco’s most charming boutique inns. Enjoying a shocking setting within the Presidio National Park on the northern high of the San Francisco Peninsula, the historic property is San Francisco’s closest lodging to the Golden Gate Bridge. The 42-room, three-story lodge is housed in former USA military barracks, constructed between 1895-97 and exemplifies the very best requirements of sustainability. The majority of the guestrooms function beautiful views of the San Francisco Bay, the town skyline, the Golden Gate Bridge, or a mixture thereof. The lovely and historic lodge is the sister property to the Inn on the Presidio which opened in 2012.
The Lodge on the Presidio options in my high 10 record of the finest inns in San Francisco.
Have you ever stayed on the Lodge on the Presidio? If so, what was your expertise? Leave a remark.
In this evaluation (extra information and photographs under my YouTube video):
PROS & THINGS I LIKE
- Centrally positioned within the coronary heart of the Presidio, the lodge enjoys a terrific setting and is San Francisco’s closest lodge to the Golden Gate Bridge. There’s quite a bit to like in regards to the location simply steps away from the seven-acre Main Post public greens, Tunnel Tops, and the Presidio Visitor Center. The Presidio options 24 miles of mountain climbing trails, 25 miles of biking trails, the 18-hole Presidio Golf Course, cultural and recreation tenants such because the Walt Disney Family Museum and a trampoline park, eating places, venues for internet hosting celebrations and conferences, and free public occasions. The park is house to the Presidio Officers’ Club, an award-winning museum and cultural heart. The free PresidiGo Shuttle additionally gives easy accessibility to the facilities of downtown San Francisco, making the lodge a house base each for pure and concrete adventures.
- The Lodge on the Presidio is housed in one of many iconic Montgomery Street Barracks constructed between 1895-1897 by the USA military to accommodate six artillery firms, a cavalry troop, and two infantry firms. The historic streetscape was later dubbed “Infantry Row.” By the top of 1897, the Presidio was one of many 5 largest military posts within the nation with over 900 males and officers residing there, virtually twice the scale of the garrison a decade earlier. During the Spanish-American War in 1898 and the Philippine-American War in 1899, the constructing was used for hospital wards. During World War I, it operated as housing for college students within the Reserve Officers Training Camps held on the Presidio to arrange new junior officers for the quickly increasing military. For many of the interval between World War I and World War II, it was the house to firms of the thirtieth Infantry Regiment, “San Francisco’s Own.” In 1980, enlisted personnel ceased utilizing the constructing as barracks. During the Nineteen Eighties, the constructing was renovated for FEMA occupancy till 2000. In 2018, it reopened as a lodge after in depth renovations.
- On the outisde, the Lodge on the Presidio faces the Presidio’s Main Parade Ground, a sprawling garden that hosts the favored Presidio picnics on Sundays (March to October). On the within, the lodge’s elegant design contains a basic and timeless aesthetic by mixing conventional and trendy kinds. The Presidio’s wealthy army historical past is showcased all through the property with artisan particulars and memorabilia, complemented by up to date finishes and furnishings. Art and design components “bring the outdoors in” by reflecting the great thing about the lodge’s setting within the Presidio National Park, together with its forest and bay views. Social areas embody a courtyard backyard with hearth pit, a entrance porch with rocking chairs, a foyer reception, and a big eating room lounge with a hearth. The renovated property’s structure and inside have been designed by the structure agency Architectural Resources Group in collaboration with LC Interiors.
- The Lodge on the Presidio options 42 decently sized visitor rooms in quite a lot of configurations, starting from Standard Queen Rooms to Junior King suites. During my go to, I stayed in a View King Room, which provided an unobstructed view of the world-famous Golden Gate Bridge (different room varieties provide glimpses of the landmark or alternatively, of the downtown skyline). The room featured a cushty kingize mattress and dealing desk, and the ensuite lavatory was outfitted with a rainshower/bathtub, rest room and one basin. Wood and leather-based furnishings, a navy-hued carpet and a blue accent wall created a comfortable and stress-free ambiance. A spotlight have been the welcome facilities which have been delivered contained in the room on the day of arrival: a bottle of wine (Sofia Rosé from Monterey County), chocolate truffles from Torn Ranch, and an olive & tomato tapenade from Sutter Buttes.
- Guests on the Lodge on the Presidio can take pleasure in a every day complimentary continental breakfast (from 7 am to 10 am) within the lodge’s eating room. The small however tastefully introduced buffet contains oatmeal, onerous boiled eggs, pastries, cereal, yogurt, recent granola, recent fruit, freshly brewed espresso and juices. Each night (from 5 pm to 7 pm), the lodge additionally gives its company a wine & cheese reception; it’s the proper event to mingle with different company within the eating room, to sit down outdoors on the chairs on the lodg’s porch, or to benefit from the heat of the fire-pit, all whereas indulging in native wines and a number of cheeses and charcuterie.
- For almost three years, the Presidio Trust mission workforce and structure agency meticulously reworked the colonial revival fashion barrack right into a lodge in accordance with the constructing ideas of “adaptive reuse” and sustainability. Construction was performed in compliance with the U.S. Green Building Council’s Leadership in Energy and Environment Design (LEED) requirements. A considerable amount of waste and vitality was conserved when reinforcing the brick constructing, by the state-of-the-art seismic strengthening course of using carbon and glass fibers. Water-efficient plumbing and landscaping lead to 20% lower than common water utilization. Energy environment friendly “on-demand” energy within the guestrooms is essential card activated, saving vitality when visitor rooms are usually not in use. The unique home windows have been restored and upgraded with climate stripping and sound decreasing glass. Recycled jean scraps have been utilized for insulation within the roof and partitions.
- The Lodge on the presidio is the sister property to the 22-room Inn on the Presidio, only a brief stroll away. Originally often called Pershing Hall Bachelor Officers’ Quarters, the constructing that now homes the Inn on the Presidio was named for General John J. “Black Jack” Pershing, who served on the Presidio and went on to develop into commander of the American Expeditionary Force in France throughout World War I. Built in 1903, it’s listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The Georgian Revival-style brick constructing is three tales excessive with San Francisco Bay and Golden Gate Bridge views from the highest flooring. The inside design celebrates the Presidio’s wealthy previous with artisan particulars and memorabilia, complemented by up to date furnishings. The furnishings and materials – easy stripes, pure leather-based, wool and linen – are true to the discreet character of the constructing’s previous as a BOQ. The artwork program is a crucial function of the Inn, showcasing historic images and up to date regional artwork that exemplifies the park expertise.
CONS & THINGS TO KNOW
- The Lodge on the Presidio doesn’t provide the identical services that you simply’ll discover at San Francisco’s extra lavish 5-star inns (though it prices related charges). For instance, there’s no pool, no spa and no health club. If you possibly can’t stay with out these wellness & leisure services, the Lodge on the Presidio may not be the only option for you. But for those who’re a historical past buff and also you admire a boutique lodge in a novel & serene setting, you’ll like it.
- The Lodge on the Presidio enjoys a secluded location however that’s a part of its enchantment for many company. The space across the property has been developed in a non-commercial approach, so this additionally means there aren’t any boutiques and only some eating places inside strolling distance. You’ll should drive or take a taxi to San Francisco’s vigorous neighborhoods for extra eating or buying choices, however upon return, you’ll admire to be staying in a fantastic, tranquil setting away from the hustle and bustle of the town’s downtown space.
- The room charge is quite costly, however isn’t the whole lot in San Francisco? And any keep on the Lodge on the Presidio additionally contains some complimentary perks, similar to breakfast within the morning, wine & cheese sampling within the night, and free use of bikes to discover the realm whereas staying on the lodge.
- Except for the every day breakfast and wine & cheese reception, there aren’t any different meals companies supplied by the lodge. The lack of room service or restaurant choices within the lodge or close by generally is a little difficult, though supply to the lodge is all the time an choice after all.
- Location: 9/10
- Design: 7/10
- Pool: not out there
- Rooms: 8/10
- Food: not out there
- Breakfast: 8/10
- Spa: not out there
- Service: 8/10
- Value for cash: 8/10
- Overall expertise: superb 8/10
TIPS FOR FUTURE GUESTS & SAVE MONEY
- Save cash: learn right here my ideas for getting one of the best deal at a luxurious lodge just like the Lodge At The Presidio (and/or obtain many free perks).
- Read my ideas for getting ready your journey in time.
BEST TIME TO VISIT
San Francisco climate is finest within the spring and fall, with heat and clear days, and comfortably cool nights. The metropolis is commonly shrouded in fog throughout mid-summer (June to September). Winter can convey storms and rains. So one of the best months, that normally include good sunshine, are October, November, April and May.
HOW TO GET THERE
The San Francisco space is served by two worldwide airports:
- San Francisco International Airport is positioned 13 miles (21 km) south of downtown San Francisco and it served by many full-service carriers. Check the Wikipedia web page of San Francisco International Airport for an inventory of airways that fly to San Francisco.
- Oakland International Airport is positioned accross the Bay, 5 miles (8 km) south of downtown Oakland, and is served by most American full-service and low-cost carriers. Check the Wikipedia web page of Oakland Airport for an inventory of airways that fly to Oakland.
Below is a number of my photographs of The Lodge on the Presidio. To view extra photographs, click on right here.